Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Life-Long Learning

From the very beginning of my career in education I was told that this is a life-long learning profesion. Looking back, I now realize the inevitable torture I was voluntarily signing up for. Not that learning in itself is a negative notion. I revel in the moments when light bulbs illuminate in my mind and in the minds of my students. I even strive to work out my brain through "masculine" book clubs and various "self-help" books, most of which I am not proud to admit I have read. In contrast, when it comes to the assigned readings and group discussions at NNU I find myself procrastinating and dreading the learning experiences provided, or should I say purchased, from our university. Why is it that I love to learn, but not in the settings most conducive to doing such? And why is it that over three quarters of the way through my education I begin to show an incredible draw towards other fields of study, such as politics and construction.

How do I deal with my frustrating need to be doing nothing, and my burning passion for bettering myself mentally? Huh, learning is a lot of work!

1 comment:

The Artist said...

Here is some advice from someone who had virtually the exact same problem, minus, of course, specific degrees sought after and what not.

Say "damnit" really loud. (though not around your child) That's really the only thing that does any good.